MEXT Japanese Government Scholarship
The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT) of Japan offers scholarships for pursuing undergraduate, master’s & Doctoral Degree in the fields which you have studied in Your Country. You will study in the top Japanese universities as Research Students under the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Program. The Japanese Government Monbukagakusho MEXT Scholarship is a Fully Funded Scholarship to Undertake Undergraduate, Master, PhD Degree from Japanese Universities. MEXT scholarship of one of the scholarships which sponsor bachelor’s degree too and also included the 10 best fully funded scholarships.
Applications for MEXT scholarship are open right now, and the deadlines are in June each year depending on each coutnry. Embassy of Japan conducts a screening test in the home country and calls the shortlisted candidates for an interview. After the interview, selected candidates are informed about their selection in a week or two. Details of the MEXT scholarship are available at the Japanese Embassy website.
The Japanese MEXT Scholarship is open to all the participants from Asia, Pacific, North America, Latin America and the Caribbean, Europe, Middle East, Africa who have diplomatic relations with Japan. All the Japanese Universities are participating in the MEXT Scholarship and all Fields of Study Available in Japanese Universities. The Good News is that Knowledge of Japanese Language and IELTS/TOEFL is Not Mandatory.
MEXT Japanese Government Scholarship 2021 Details
- Scholarship Country: Japan
- Course Level: Undergraduate, Master, PhD
- Financial Coverage: Fully Funded
- Deadline: Varies for different countries (for Pakistan it is June 30, 2020)
You may want to read: Apply for the Fulbright Schoalrship to study on fully-funded Master and PhD
About MEXT Japanese Government Scholarship
You will study in the Top Japanese Universities under the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Program. The Selection in the University will be Automatically by the Japanese Government according to Your Grades and Achievements.
For MEXT Master & Ph.D. Scholarship Applicants should apply for the field of study they majored in at university or its related field.
Moreover, the fields of study must be subjects in which applicants will be able to study and research in graduate courses at Japanese universities.
Duration of the MEXT Scholarship
- Undergraduate: 4-5 Years
- Masters: 2-3 Years
- PhD: 3-4 Years
Fields of Study
As Stated above the Japanese government offers all types of Study Options available in all Japanese Universities from Social Science to Engineering, Medical to Health, Arts, Humanities Etc. There are No Academic Fields Restrictions.
Financial Benefits of MEXT Scholarship
The MEXT Japanese Scholarship is a Fully Funded Scholarships for International Students to Study in Japan For Free. All the Expenses will be covered by the Japanese Government. The details of financial benefits are given below:
- Allowance of 2,000 yen or 3,000 yen per month will be added to the monthly scholarship.
- Students receiving preparatory education and non-regular students: 143,000 yen per month
- Regular students enrolled in Master’s or professional degree courses: 144,000 yen per month.
- Regular students enrolled in Doctoral courses: 145,000 yen per month.
- Tuition Fee for the entrance examination, matriculation, and tuition at universities will be paid by MEXT
- The entrance examination fee, however, will be borne by the grantees if they cannot proceed to the master’s or doctoral course or cannot be admitted by the university
- Economy-class airline ticket from the country of origin to Japan
- Residence halls for international students provided by universities.
General Eligibility Criteria
- Applicants must have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan
- An applicant who has Japanese nationality at the time of application is not eligible.
- Also, there is an age-restriction requirement too (Generally the candidates should not be above 35 years of age at the time of application)
- The First Screening must be conducted at the Japanese diplomatic mission in the country of which the applicant chooses the nationality.
- Applicants, in principle, must have been born on or after April 2, 1985.
- Master’s course: Applicants who have completed 16 years of School education in countries other than Japan.
- Doctoral Course: Applicants who have completed 18 years of school education in countries other than Japan.
- Language: Knowledge of Japanese Language and IELTS/TOEFL is not mandatory. Now You Don’t Need to Worry about IELTS or TOEFL.
Note: There may additional eligibility criteria for each country, consult the Embassy of Japan for your home country for more updates.
How to Check Which Countries Offer MEXT Scholarship?
Like as we said above Each Year MEXT Announced in April 2020. In Some Countries, they announced in May 2020. As it Varies from Country to Country. The Embassy of Japan in Pakistan has announced MEXT Scholarship.
Most of the Japanese Embassies will announce the MEXT in Later May 2020 or Early June 2020. Keep visiting the embassy websites for more updates.
How to Apply for MEXT Scholarship
The simple process to apply for the MEXT scholarship is given in the below chart.
For further details, you may visit the website of Japanese Embassy for your own country.
Documents Required to Apply
The following documents (in the given order) should be submitted before the deadline:
- Mark Sheet Form
- Application Form
- Research Plan
- Abstract of previous research (if any)
- Attested copy of transcripts and degree of the last university attended (Attestation by University, Gazetted Officer or a Professor. HEC attestation is mandatory if selected).
I hope you’ve liked our effort in presenting this detailed guide to apply for the MEXT Japanese Government scholarship. You may want to read DAAD scholarships for graduate studies in Germany and Australia Awards scholarship.
You can subscribe to the website through the bell icon on the lower-left corner or below the post to receive further updates. Best of luck. Thank you. 🙂