What is a Chinese Scholarship Council (CSC)?
CSC Scholarship is offered by Chinese Scholarship Council and is also called Chinese Government Scholarship. Chinese Government Scholarships initiative was taken by the Chinese Government to promote education, culture, trade, exchanges in education and politics, cooperation and mutual understanding between other countries and China. Each year thousands of students from all over the world receive this scholarship to pursue undergraduate and graduate studies in well-renowned and research intensive universities of China.
CSC Scholarships 2020 are now open for Bachelor, Master or doctoral (Ph.D.) degree courses in various disciplines taught in English & Chinese language in Chinese Universities. CSC Scholarships are offered in over 280 Chinese Universities every year.
To apply for CSC Scholarship, an online application is to filled in by the applicant. Additionally, the applicant has also fill in the application on the university’s online admission portal. After submitting these online applications on CSC Scholarship portal and university admission form, both of them needs to be sent to the university to process the application.
Financial Benefits of CSC Scholarship
- Undergraduate Program: CNY 2500 RMB (Chinese currency is called Renminbi or Yuan; 1 yuan is equal to ~25 PKR or ~1/8 USD) Monthly Stipend, free tuition, and free accommodation
- Master Program Students: CNY 3000 RMB Monthly Stipend, free tuition, and free room
- Doctoral Program Students: CNY 3500 RMB Monthly Stipend, free tuition, and free room. Married students get an extra 1000 RMB for accommodation outside the university hostel. They may also get any other research funding from their professor for conferences, paper submissions and RAship stipend.
How to apply for the CSC Scholarship?
Step by step application procedure to apply for the Chinese Government Scholarship is explained here.
Before filling in the online application for the CSC scholarship, you should keep in mind that you must obtain a consent letter (acceptance letter) for your prospective adviser/supervisor. For obtaining the acceptance letter, you must email your professor explaining the alignment of research and your specific research proposal. You may attache your CV and research proposal along with the email.
15 Simple steps to apply for CSC Scholarship in a Chinese University:
- Find Chinese University offering the Chinese Scholarship Council Scholarships
- Find the CSC Scholarship webpage of University
- Create an account on the China Scholarship Council website
- Fill CSC Scholarship Online application form
- Select category B for the CSC Scholarship
- Select University name and fill agency number of university
- Submit the CSC Scholarship form and download it in pdf format
- Attach all required documents with the pdf file of scholarship application
- Check if University require separate admission application or not
- If admission application required then fill University form and download
- Check if University require an application fee or not
- Submit application fee (if required)
- Attach admission application, documents & Scholarship pdf form
- Make two sets and send on University address
- Wait for CSC Scholarship Results
Following two steps will guide you in detail on how to apply for the CSC Scholarship:
Step 1: Fill the CSC Scholarship Online Application Form:
- Create your profile and CSC scholarship web account
- Fill CSC Scholarship Online Application Form
- Make separate CSC portal accounts if you wish to apply to more than one University
- Find the agency number of Chinese university where you want to study
- Insert agency number of your Chinese University in CSC Scholarships online application form
- Select the type of the CSC Scholarship award which you want and select ‘category B’
- Fill your credentials and desired degree course you want in China
- Submit your Scholarship online application
- Download CSC Scholarships online application form
Step 2: How to submit the Scholarship application to the University?
- Find out if that Chinese University requires an online application for admission alongside with Scholarship application or not.
- If an online admission application is not required by the university then you need to submit Scholarship online application form only and send your documents to the university
- If they want you to submit an online application for admission to that particular Chinese University, then apply online first on their website and attach your Scholarship form in online application system of that University
- Fill rest of the admission form and CSC scholarship sponsorship form at that particular University site and review your application before submission
- Submit your application and make 2 sets of documents and dispatch it to the University address
Documents Required for the Scholarship Application
- Please make sure if you can furnish attested copies of degree and transcripts for the Scholarships application submission
- Ask two of your teachers to give you a favor by writing recommendation letters for you for CSC Scholarship application
- Acceptance letter (Consent Letter) from a professor of Chinese University. Motivation Letter or Statement of Purpose is recommended while you send emails to professors to request an acceptance letter.
- IELTS certificate or HSK award letter if you have (Both optional), you can also provide a simple certificate stating that your last degree was taught in the English language. It is called English Proficiency certificate, that is available from your university
- Schedule an appointment with your doctor to carry out complete medical examination for CSC Scholarship and then ask your doctor to sign and stamp the form
- Write a detailed and impressive research plan and state clear reasons that why you want to chose a Chinese University for your next degree? Master’s degree students can write a Study Plan for CSC Scholarship. The Study plan essay and Study plan writing skills were also published for you to look at. You may also wish to read how to write a well-researched research proposal to convince the scholarship awarding committee.
- Apply for a passport if you don’t have it now and make sure you have it at the time of submission of your CSC Scholarship application
- If any particular Chinese University requires an application screening or an application process fee then submit it. Print its receipt and attach it to the two sets of your documents listed above
- It is advised to choose a reliable courier service to send your scholarship application documents directly to the address of that Chinese University.
- The Chinese Government Scholarships sponsors international students once a year in all Chinese Universities
- You can keep in mind that the deadline for Chinese Scholarship (CSC) varies in all Chinese Universities. So, the rough guess for the deadline for CSC scholarship would be the end of March.
- If you win the CSC Scholarship then the next step will be to receive admission and Chinese Student VISA documents on your residential address.
- Now, you have to make an appointment to visit the Chinese Embassy to apply for a Chinese VISA.
List of Chinese Universities offering CSC Scholarships:
There are more than 280 Chinese Universites that offer the scholarship sponsered by Chinese Scholarship Council. Here are a few universites
- SJTU Chinese Government
- Tsinghua University
- Shandong Government Scholarship
- Tianjin University
- Beihang University
- Beijing Institute of Technology
- Chongqing University
- Wuhan University
- Jiangsu University
- Jiangsu University Presidential Scholarship
- Jiangsu University USA Culture Exchange Scholarship
- Jiangsu University Belt & Road initiative Scholarship
- Dalian University
- Confucius Scholarship China
- Hebei University
- Belt and Road Initiative Scholarship China
- Donghua University
- Donghua University Shanghai Government Scholarship
- Sichuan University
- University of Electronics Science and Technology